A cake smash session is a fun and joyful way to celebrate your baby’s first birthday. Take this opportunity to capture your child’s adorable expressions as they have their first taste of sugar!
Our packages - what to expect from each one.
We offer 4 different packages for you:
Our “Short and Sweet” package lasts 30-45 minutes. We give the baby time to get familiar with me and my assistant, the environment, the lights. Then we proceed to sit the baby by the backdrop and place the cake in front of him/her. Once we bring in the cake, the cake smash takes approximately 15-20 minutes. We let your baby set the pace, as some little ones dig right in and destroy the cake, and others need a little bit of encouragement and sometimes even help to get into their cake. Be ready to get your hands dirty and help your little one get past all that frosting to the cake underneath!
If you choose the "Standard" Package, before the cake smash portion, we will do baby portraits (in studio). You are welcome to borrow one or two of our baby outfits. The whole session takes 45-60 minutes.
If you choose the "Smash and Splash", we will do baby portraits, cake smash and we will finish our session with a relaxing baby bath.
If you choose the "Fantasy" Package, we will start our session with family and baby portraits outdoors at Orcutt Ranch. This takes about 20-25 minutes. This is a mini session because we do not want to get the baby tired for the cake smash. Then we will come to the studio for the cake smash and the bath. The whole session takes about 90 minutes.
Choosing the right Cake
Select a small cake or large cupcake, approximately 6-8 inches around.
Due to concern for allergens, we do not is not provide the cake. I am happy to recommend some local bakers if you will not be making the cake yourself. Whether you are making the cake, or having it made, please consider the following items:
Please make sure that there are no fondant, gum paste or pearls on the cake as those can be choking hazards for the baby. Small sprinkles are okay.
When ordering the cake, please mention to the baker it is for a Cake Smash session so they do not add any support inside the cake. (Sticks, toothpicks, tubs, etc.) When baby begins to smash the cake, they can get hurt by this.
I strongly recommend naked cakes as they have less frosting and more cake and babies seem to lake them more.
Be sure to mention the theme of the session to your bakery so they match the cake to it. Again, try to keep the frosting as light as possible.
Remove the cake from the refrigerator 2-3 hours before the session to allow the frosting to come to room temperature. That way the frosting is soft and easy for baby to destroy. If you are doing the "Fantasy" package it would be ideal to stop at the studio before going to the outdoor location to drop the cake.
What to Wear
Choose the theme or color of your little one’s cake smash first, and then you can choose the outfit.
Etsy is a wonderful resource for buying custom made outfits that will make this photo session memorable.
Amazon is also a great choice. Please be sure to order the outfit with plenty of time prior to the session.
The Moment of...
Some little ones make a mess, some others are very delicate eaters, that's up to them. What's most important is that they are happy and that the experience is fun and enjoyable for them.
Things to Bring
- Cake & topper / decor
- Cake Smash Outfit
- 1 additional outfit for Baby as backup
- Change of clothes for parents, just in case
- Diapers & wipes
- Sippy cup to help wash down the cake or milk
- Wooden or plastic spoon. If baby does not like to get their hands dirty, they can still use the spoon to destroy the cake.
- Snacks (like cheerios or puffs) in case they don’t like the cake. I sometimes have to hide them in the back of the cake to make it look like your little one is actually eating cake.
- Socks for the adults so you can step on the area where the cake smash is happening.
- Lots of energy, songs, baby's favorite videos recorded on your phone.
- Set up your session at a time that is convenient for the baby's schedule and he/she would be rested and relaxed. We can start as early as 9 am. We only work on weekdays.
- If you have toddlers or other small children, my recommendation is to leave them at home so you can really focus on the birthday baby.
- Bring comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting totally dirty, so you can really be there for your baby during the cake smash portion. If you are doing family portraits, keep it casual.
- Please use your cellphone only to entertain the baby, not to take pictures / video.
- I highly recommend that you block your calendar during your session. Do not take work phone calls or check your text messages as this ruins the moment.